The business has a lot going on, so they need to handle the workflow to provide great results. SharePoint allows you to collaborate and manage your business requirements with its amazing features and functionalities.
The SharePoint Issue Tracking is one such feature that is beneficial for businesses dealing with data and documents.
Why do you need a SharePoint issue tracking app?
Issues are something that you do not want to have on your platform, but you should have the right method to resolve them in case they come. It would help if you considered a software firm managed by the project manager, QA, and developers in such scenarios.
In some cases, the project manager might want to know what Quality Analysts are working on and software status. The process that goes to develop an application are:
- Developers coding
- Submitting the programs to QA
- The Quality Analyst will test it and report the issues to developers and other team members
- They will now track the issues and try to fix it
The complexity comes when developers do not update the status of the issue. So, in order to resolve this common issue, Microsoft has a tracking list template to handle the problems in an organized manner.
What is an issue tracking list?
This is a template built by Microsoft that is used to create a list of issues that need to be tracked for a project or other tasks. The Issue tracking list helps to know the current status and the person responsible for handling it.
This will also help the customer support system, know the product’s issues and provide them with a better solution. Users can choose to maintain the status of the issues as active, closed, or in progress.
Here is the list of features that you will be dealing with in the SharePoint issue tracking app:
- Issue Owner: This will allow tracking the person assigned with the issue and who is responsible for handling the case.
- Due Date: It informs the timeline to handle the issue. This helps ensure that your issues are resolved within the due date.
- Comments: It will help to track the information related to the issue. This contains troubleshooting steps, additional requests, results, and other measures. SharePoint also allows you to view who commented with time.
- Customization: You will be able to make the updates and adjustments in the issue tracking app to fit it perfectly for your requirements.
- Issue Categorization: This feature helps organize, group, view, review, and report the issues. It helps to identify the common issues and trends to manage them effectively.
What are the different types of project issues?
- The changes that lead to an increase in the complexities of adding new features
- Scheduling unexpected delays or unrealistic timeline
- Shortage of skills, funds, or changes in team in a running project
- Failure to handle project processes
- Conflicts inside a team
- Poor reporting or visibility
- The problem in providing timely feedback
- Ineffective or miscommunication in the team
- Changes in the business requirements
What is the procedure to create an issue tracking list?
Follow the below steps to create a SharePoint tracking list:
- Redirect to the Site Content Page by clicking on the “Settings” or the Gear icon. Then go to “Site Content.”
- You will reach the Site Contents page, then click on the “Add an app” icon from here
- Search for “Issue” in the search box and click on the “Issue Tracking” icon
- Provide an appropriate name to the list and click on the “Create” button
- This will add the SharePoint issue tracking list
- Click on the list icon to open it and hit the link:
- All Issues: This will list all the issues without any filters
- Active Issues: This will contain the problems that are currently active
- My Issues: These are the ones that are currently assigned to the logged-in user
How to insert issues in the SharePoint issue tracking list?
To add a new issue to the list, click on the “New Item” link on the list. You will reach the issue addition form. Let us look at the role of each field:
- Title: This is the title of the issue you are reporting
- Assigned To: The People Picker filed helps to choose the person you will assign the issue
- Issue Status: It is a choice field with default values like Active, Closed, and Resolved. When a QA assigns the issue, it is assigned as Active. If the developer resolves the issue, they are marked as resolved. Once the QA verifies the issue is resolved, it is marked as closed.
- Priority: This is a choice field that helps define the issue’s priority. It has default values as Low, Normal, and High. The user gets a choice to select the suitable option and change them as per the requirements.
- Description: This is a multiline text field that describes the details of the issue.
- Category: It is a choice field with the default values as Category 1, Category 2, and Category 3. You have the freedom to change the value as per the requirements.
- Related Issues: Sometimes, your issues might be related to one another. This field allows the user to define those issues.
- Comments: This is also a multiline text field that provides users to add comments relevant to the issues. The aim is to add the issue to the list and explain it in the comment field.
- Due Date: This fields the due date of the issue.
After filling the above fields, it’s time to hit the Save button and add the issue to the list.
How to use SharePoint effectively?
You can do certain things with SharePoint to empower your business. One of its main functions as it is a Document Management System. Instead of using the traditional folder system to manage store documents. SharePoint makes it effortless to track records and changes made over time. You build more than just a SharePoint List , document, and it includes historical data of edits and changes made by you and others.
The Final Note!
The SharePoint issue tracking is the process to handle the issues with the best features and functionalities. The template has a great interface to track and monitor the status of the problems seamlessly.